Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The First of Many!

So here goes nothing!

I am not a writer by any means. Nor am I an expert of food and cooking. Everything I know in regards to food and baking, have been things I learned from my parents growing up, through my own experimentation in the kitchen, and through my love for cooking shows. But what I can tell you is: I am a seasoned eater! I have been blessed with the opportunity to eat of different cuisines from all parts of the globe!

My love for food, and my desire to be creative while doing something for others has always driven me to the kitchen. Whether to make a sweet something or making a deliciously savory meal, I love to be in the kitchen! Even more so, I love having someone to cook for, to expose to all the wonderful flavors we are blessed to have. Could you imagine what life would be like if there was only 1 thing to eat, or everything we ate tasted the same! How bland!

I have never considered creating a food blog until today. I had made lunch for my fiance and he was in love with the crispy orange chicken I had made. He suggested I should create an album of all the dishes I make. I thought an album would be great, but what about a blog! Although I have never had a blog nor considered having one, I couldn't help but think what an awesome way to keep record of all the fun dishes I create in the kitchen. As well as provide inspiration to other food lovers out there!

I had the strangest craving today for some orange chicken. So I decided I am going to attempt to make my own! Below you will find my recipe.

Enjoy! M.G.

Crispy Orange Chicken, Steamed Rice, Stir-Fry Veggies, and Roasted Sweet Potatoes.


  • First, I sliced 2 boneless-skinless chicken breasts and seasoned them with powdered ginger. I then breaded them in some spicy fish fry and let them sit for about 15 minutes to soak in the breading. 
  • As the chicken was soaking in the breading, I sliced an onion julienne style and set aside. I then cleaned up two crowns of broccoli and seasoned them with powdered ginger, a dash of Teriyaki sauce and a dash of oyster sauce.
  • Next, I brought a pot of water to boil. Once the water had boiled, I added the broccoli and let the broccoli boil for 2 minutes. I then drained and set the broccoli aside.
  • As I prepared my broccoli, I added two tablespoons of olive oil to a saute pan on medium-to-medium-high heat. Once the pan reached a good temperature, I added my chicken and let them fry slowly until they were golden brown on both sides (be sure to flip them over!). During the last minute I squeezed 1/2 lemon and 1/2 an orange over the chicken.
  • I removed my finished chicken from the pan and placed them on a dish to keep warm. Meanwhile I added the onions to the remaining oil in the pan. I let them saute for 2-3 minutes until they were translucent, then added my broccoli. I also added about 1 tbsp Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp Teriyaki Sauce, 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce, and 1/2 an orange to the pan. I allowed the vegetables to soak in the rich flavors.To give it a little thickness, I added some stir-fry sauce and let it simmer a little longer. Then it was ready to be served!
  • I plated the chicken with some steamed rice and the veggies on the side as well. I then used some of the orange sauce from the saute pan to drizzle over the crispy orange chicken and the rice. Added a few slices of roasted sweet potatoes (I will have to provide this recipe in a future post! I love this way of preparing sweet-potatoes!), and food was served!
If you have any questions or want clarification on the recipe, just shoot me a message! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment